Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My daughter's room continued and lamp shade tutorial

If you checked out my blog yesterday you will know the dilemma I was having covering a painted border my daughter had in her room.  So... I went to my local Benjamin Moore paint store and told them about my problem covering the border in my daughter's room.  Although the primer I used is usually the one they would recommend, they thought I should try a different, oil based primer.  I bought a "stronger" primer, but in addition to it being stronger, I also had it tinted to the same color as the new wall color.  I am happy to report that after only one coat of the new primer and two coats of paint, the walls are perfect.
Here is a sneak peek of the room.

I have to still decide on window treatments, artwork etc.  I also still need to find her a desk.  I would like to find one on Craigslist and then redo it to fit her room perfectly, but so far I can't find the right desk.


Here is a picture of that feature wall that took me so long.  I haven't decided if I am keeping the bedding or not.  I have a vision of a much fluffier white duvet.  We will have to see.

In the meantime I wanted to share how I embellished a simple lamp shade from target to make it so girly and adorable.

I knew that I wanted something girly done to this lamp shade.  Where did I find my inspiration...in the scrapbooking aisle at Michaels.

These flowers come in multiple sizes and designs.  I also bought pink gingham paper fasteners.  I took the paper fastener and put it through three of the flowers (all of which have holes in the center already).   After that I used my hot glue gun to fasten it to the lampshade.

I then hot glued on the trim and I was done.  Less than a half hour to take a basic lamp shade to something so cute for a little girl's room.

Perfect for reading next to her favorite chair.

I'd love to hear your comments and see any lamp shades you have done.

-Judy


Join me at the following link parties
Hope Studios
Todays Creative Blog

7 comments:

Vanessa said...

Judy! That is looking so great and I love the little lampshade. Even a non-crafty person like me could do that one! :-) I am especially loving the accent wall and it has gotten me thinking about how I could maybe add some stenciling to my daughter's room or maybe our playroom. The armoire looks gorgeous in there too!
Vanessa

Erin said...

Looks fabulous! And I love the lampshade!

Vanessa said...

Hi Judy! Thanks so much for linking up to the party today! If you want to add my button in the post, just click on the code and copy it, then go into Edit your post. It will say "Compose" or "Edit HTML". click on the HTML and find a place towards the bottom to paste it in. Then when you go back to "Compose" it will show up as the button. If you ever want to add it (or another button from someone) into your sidebar, you go to "Design" then "Add a Gadget" then "Add HTML Text" and copy it in and save it. Then it will stay on your sidebar. Let me know if you have any trouble! :-)
Vanessa

Modern Country Lady said...

That is so cute- love the lampshade- and the room is amazing !!!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi there- The room is looking gorgeous! I love the pink and the fun details you are adding to the shade! I actually really like oil based primer other than I end up having to toss the paintbrush after because of the difficulty in cleaning it. The oil based primer does a much better job. Looks like it worked well for you too!! :)

Sbb1 Wellness said...

Hi Judy,
Stopped by to return the follow and thank you for stopping by. You did a super terrific job on your darling daughter's room. The embellished lampshade tops things off splendidly. I will be using this idea soon on a couple of old floor lamps my dad is passing down to me ;)

Kaye said...

Super cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...