Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

My First Craigslist Purchase

Over the weekend I made my first Craigslist purchase.  I have been searching Craigslist for months now trying to find a few items.  One is a desk for my daughter's room...no luck yet.  Another item I have been on the hunt for is a french chair.

Image from Ballard Designs
I have been wanting a chair like this one from Ballard Designs.  I wanted it to be a french style chair with a detached seat cushion with great legs.  Ideally it would have ugly fabric that I would feel no remorse in removing so that I could reupholster it.
BINGO!  This is the photo from Craigslist.  French looking chair - check, detached cushion - check, great legs - check.  The asking price was $30... I offered $20 and she said yes.  It was that easy.  My husband is great - he drove the 45 minutes each way to go and get the chair while I was at a tournament with my daughter.

Check out those beautiful legs!!

When I got home from the tournament I was so excited to see the chair in person.  What I didn't expect was that the chair would have nailhead trim...everywhere.  Oh boy...this was going to take a while.
Using a screwdriver and pliers, I started to remove all of the nailhead trim.  Not an easy job...I have the blisters to prove it.
Yuck and yuck!!
I threw out all of the gross foam, but kept the old fabric to use as a pattern for the new fabric.
After hours and hours and hours, this is what remains of the nailhead trim.
Seriously?  After all the nailhead trim was removed, I still had about a million staples to take out.
The chair is finally ready for it's makeover.  Last week I ordered some Anne Sloan's chalk paint.  Hopefully it will arrive either today or tomorrow.  This chair is going to be the first thing that gets painted.  Check back later this week to see this chair get it's transformation.  I'll be working on the cushion next.

Have a great day!

-Judy

23 comments:

Reunion Committee said...

oh I cant wait to see what you do with that gorgeous piece!
Tana

d e l i g h t said...

What a great find! A lovely style chair. Can't wait to see the after photographs!

Heather said...

Ooo! Can't wait to see what you come up with!! (Please tell me you are going to reuse the nail head trim...I love nail heads...... :)

Unknown said...

Awesome! Can't wait to see which paint color you chose. I love how you shared how tough and time consumming the project is because the realities of our projects rarely get acknowledged. By the time we get to the 'reveal,' the pics and explanations make them look easy. Ya know?!

Anyway, good luck going forward. Remember to use a mask when sanding the AL Chalk paint. (I learned the hard way with a bad sinus issue)Can't wait to see what happens....

claudia b said...

Oooh, great find! I can't wait to see what you do with it - I'm your new follower :D

Ches said...

Thats a great find! Good luck with the transformation.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Great chair, Judy! Have fun with it. I had to deal with nailhead trim, too, although not as much as you had. Yes, and then the staples underneath it all, too! I'm also waiting on my chalk paint. I'm looking forward to tackling a headboard with it.

Barb@curlywillowdiy said...

Great chair! I'm looking for one like that, too. Can't wait to see it finished.

Melissa said...

What a great find! I LOVE the 'Thrill of the Hunt' especially when patience pays off! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see the finished product--I am sure it will be gorgeous!!

Lesley said...

Exciting! Can't wait to see what happens next!

Debbiedoos said...

OUCH OUCH OUCH! I know you had a few cus words in between too. I can't wait to see it all prettied and Judified up!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a fabulous find. I love the style and I can't wait to see it transformed. Give us a tutorial, I don't upholster and I want to learn. Hugs, Marty

Modern Country Lady said...

What a result ! I have a chair almost like that ans they are - apart from looking fabulous just super comfortable to sit in as well.Poor you though , having to take all the nails off-ouch !.But the price was a steal- perseverance pays off!!
Congratulations on your great find.
Bea

Susan Anderson said...

Can't wait to see how this one turns out!

=)

Ms. Bake-it said...

What a great chair! I cannot wait to see the transformation.

~ Tracy

Mariaelena said...

can't wait to see it...I have one in an early post still waiting for me to fix up...good luck...Mariaelena

High Street Cottage said...

Hi Judy, I'm honored to be your latest follower and such a great blog! I purchased a similar chair last winter, and it's still in my garage, the re upholstering is a bit complicated for my skill level, but in the end it will be white wood and white fabric. I saved so much on the chair it will be ok to splurge on it. Yours is just lovely and I can't wait to see the finished look. tami

Kelsey said...

Great job on the Craigslist find! Especially for a newbie Craigslister! I have been looking for this type of chair on Craigslist for a while now, and people have priced them between $75-$125 because they know they are popular right now! Can't wait to see the tranformation :)

Kara @ June & Bear said...

What a great find. I've been wanting a chair like this too. Can't wait to see what you do with it. You'll love chalk paint.

Anna said...

That looks like a lot of work! I can't wait to see the finished product though. :)

Thanks for sharing at the Weekend Warrior link party!

Anna
www.askannamoseley.com

Crystal said...

Oh my goodness! What an amazing deal! I can't wait to see the finished project!:) Thanks so much for linking up at Homemaker in Heels! Have a great week!
Crysta:)

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Yay you. I have sold a couple of things on Craig's List but I haven't bought anything yet. You have me inspired. Thanks for sharing on Motivated Monday. Can't wait to see what you do with it. :)
Pam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...