Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Truly Trash to Treasure

Okay...it happened.  It was bound to happen.  I mean, you can't be a blogger and read all about everyone else finding treasures and not find yourself looking.  What am I talking about, you ask?  Well yesterday, while driving my kids to school, I saw a potential treasure in someone's trash.  Yes, that's right, the trash.  Someone was throwing out outdoor furniture.   I wanted to stop right there and then and pick it up, but my kids were beyond mortified and begged me to just keep driving.  However, after I dropped my kids off, I just had to go back and luckily, the chairs were still there...so I jumped out and threw them into the back of my vehicle.
I have to tell you that before blogging, I would have never even noticed these on the side of the road, much less stopped and taken them.  Now, not only did they catch my eye, but I knew for sure that I could breathe new life into them.  Once home I unloaded them to assess their quality.  In my haste of retrieving them from the garbage (trust me...I was in and out of there in seconds), I didn't even realize there were also four seat cushions as well.
Upon closer inspection, the only thing really wrong with these chairs was a little paint peeling on the arms.  The rest of the chair was in perfect condition and a very decent quality.
I started my makeover by scraping the chairs down with a wire brush.  They cleaned up pretty easily.
Once I got the majority of the peeling paint off, I used 220 grit sandpaper to smooth out the arms of the chairs.

I had left over spray paint from my chiminea project.   I sprayed both chairs...just like new.
Like I said, there were also four cushions with the chairs.  All of them were in very good shape...just a little drab looking.  I popped over to JoAnn's and bought a yard of outdoor fabric which was 40% off.   Since there were only two chairs, I only needed two of the cushions.  I will save the others in our shed for a future use.
I folded a piece of fabric around the cushion.  I then sewed the two sides.
This formed a large pocket for me to slip the pillow cushion into.
For the ties, I covered them in a strip of the new fabric and attached it with fabric glue.
I opened a small section of the seam on the pillow cushion to slip the newly covered ties through.
Then I folded and glued the end of the new fabric cover.
I love how it adds a pop of color to the chair and picks up the color in the planter behind it.


I love the new sitting area.  I just love that I saved these from being thrown into a garbage truck.

By the way, when my kids got home I showed them what I had done and they were super impressed.  However, they did make a point of saying that they were so happy they weren't in the car when "I went to the dark side".

Have a great weekend!!

-Judy

43 comments:

Caroline @ Artfully Caroline said...

Welcome to the dark side .. great trashformation!

SkinnyMeg said...

Love them! That fabric is gorgeous!!

Kimberly said...

Love them! great job.

Dragonfliez Made said...

I am always eyeing the trash. My daughters hate it when I do that!
You did an excellent job.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It is our job, nay duty, Judy, to mortify our children at least once a year! : ) I think the chairs were a great find. You did a wonderful job of cleaning them up and who can't use extra seating in the Summer!

So many times I see stuff and wonder why people don't just donate what they are throwing out. I always pay careful attention on "bulk garbage" day. My kids got used to it after awhile when they were younger!

Gina said...

LOL! My kids would have been mortified too! That being said, the chairs look fabulous. You did a great job.

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

Congrats on your trash find! They turned out perfect!

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Wow, Judy, the chairs look awesome on your patio and I love the color of the cushions... what a gorgeous transformation. Well done!~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

Mel said...

I'm still mortified about pulling someones garbage, but it is so worth the reward (most of the time).

Excellent redo Judy! You scored.

Ange said...

Those look great! :) Sometimes when I find stuff like that and transform it, I want to find the previous owner and show them my "new" trashy treasure. Maybe it would inspire them but then they wouldn't throw great things out in the garbage either! lol!

A Thrifted Market said...

Woohoo!! I love it. I am one of those bloggers that scouts of trash day and I have found some really great things! Good for you and they look great! My boys don't get it either!!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

I tell you...these kids just don't get it:) How awesome that you found these goodies...come by and share them at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY...hope to see ya there.

Blessings,
Linda

Unknown said...

It really amazes me what paint can do.. I also love the fabric you chose.. Have a great weekend

Pattie

Allison@FabRehab said...

Amazing! Forwarding this to my sister for inspiration!

Unknown said...

thats so funny i redid a few outdoor chairs
and they were curbside finds as well.
they turned out great and the cushions look
beautiful!! arn't you glad you went to the dark side. im already there you can hang out with me
lol...

Little City Farm said...

That is fabulous. I love the colour fabric you chose and 'the dark side' is hilarious.

Jordan G. said...

You did a great job! I love that fabric you chose.

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

love them! they look so good! I love the pop of blue.

Ches said...

This looks great. I havent been so lucky finding great items for FREE on the curb, but i'm always on the lookout.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Literally trash to treasure! And what a treasure you have! Great job!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Fabulous find and the chairs look stunning. You did a wonderful job. The fabric is perfect. Hugs, Marty

Karen said...

Wow what great luck to find such fabulous chairs. I can't believe the things that people throw out.They look amazing, love the fabric with the chair color.

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

What great trash you found. Love the fabric you picked too. I need to keep a better eye out for that stuff.

Susan Anderson said...

I LOVE these.

And you never cease to amaze me.

=)

From G2B said...

Now THAT'S trash to TREASURE! Love.
Becca

http://gardenberger.blogspot.com/

laxsupermom said...

The chairs look terrific! I have yet to stop and pick up any furniture off the side of the road, but I notice it all the time, now. WD is absolutely mortified by my interest in trash, too. I did go back for a desk/vanity one time, but it was gone by the time I got back. Love the fabric you chose! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Welcome to the club!! Trash Diving Divas!!!

Don't you just wish you could stop at the house you trashed picked them at and show them what they look like now!? Or better yet, invited those people over for a barbeque and have them sit and enjoy! :)

I dream of doing something like that all the time and then realize that the person throwing them out might get offended. Oh well..... It's fun dreaming.

Your chairs look great and with that huge backyard you have, I am sure they will be put to good use. Enjoy the weekend....

Ms. Bake-it said...

That is so funny! My kids finally gave up and joined me on the dark side! You did a great job transforming the chairs, they look great! It never fails to amaze me what people throw away. I have to admit that I sometimes feel slightly embarrassed when I take something, but I get over it pretty quickly! Especially after I see the transformation!

~ Tracy

Ashley@ DesignBuildLove.co said...

Treasure? YES!!! Absolutely! Those chairs look unreal amazing! NICE JOB!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

You did a wonderful job!!! The chairs are beautiful...and the kids...well mine are in their twenties and thirties and would still be mortified if they knew I did the same thing. ssshhhh what they don't know won't bother them!!!
Enjoy and laugh all the way home!!!

Anonymous said...

Looks great. Now, it's my turn to find a set of patio chairs. My plastic ones are falling apart.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Don't you just love scoring something like this that people throw out! Beautiful beautiful job on the paint and cushions.

Marianne said...

Great trash find....one persons junk...you know the rest. You did a great job fixing them up. And I love the dark side. When I first met Mr. Country he was mortified with my dumpster diving but now, he calls me if he sees something worthy on the side of the rode, now thats a transformation!
Marianne :)

Laurie said...

Love them! Such a great find!

Laura/Hayestone/Design Share said...

Some of my very best finds were straight out of the trash! We've all felt that thrill of excitement mixed with the embarrassment of going through someone else's trash! But it is so worth it, especially with results like yours!
~Laura

Shanna said...

Holy moly cow! They are gorgeous! Nice work, Judy! I love that you not only scored a tremendous deal but kept those lovelies out of a landfill. :)

Unknown said...

These are great!!! I love that they didn't end up in the trash! Two great chairs all for the price of some fabric. Great.

Neha@ Allthingsbeautiful said...

Wonderful transformation! Discovered your blog today and totally loving it...

Colleen said...

They look stunning, it's like a new set of chairs and go so well with the table, like a matching set. :)

Debbie--http://refreshrestyle.com/ said...

Love the story! Kids are so funny, I love what you did with your dumpster dive! They look great, if I could only be so lucky! New follower, also from the dark side (when needed!! LOL)
Debbie

At The Picket Fence said...

Seriously! What would cause someone to throw those away?! It amazes me! Good for you for rescuing those two beauties and giving them the makeover and new home they deserve! :)

PS-my kids would have been mortified too. lol

Heather

Kari said...

Judy -
These chairs look FANTASTIC! I love the fabric you chose and the spray paint color you went with. They underwent SUCH a transformation! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and following! I'm excited to follow yours as well!

Angela Hubbard said...

That is so funny! My kids finally gave up and joined me on the dark side! You did a great job transforming the chairs, they look great! It never fails to amaze me what people throw away. I have to admit that I sometimes feel slightly embarrassed when I take something, but I get over it pretty quickly! Especially after I see the transformation! ~ Tracy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...