Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Creating the Perfect Linen Closet

We are in Cape Cod this week.  I thought I would take this chance to share one of my most popular posts from last year.  Enjoy!

When I envision the perfect linen closet, I picture something Martha Stewart would create.
Image from MarthaStewart.com 
What makes this closet so visually appealing?  For starters, everything is neat and organized.  One of the most important elements that help create it's neat and organized appearance is that it is filled with beautifully coordinated sheets and towels all folded perfectly.  
Image from MarthaStewart.com
Even if you don't have perfectly coordinated sheets and towels for your home (really, how many of us do?) you can make the most of what you have by learning to fold them uniformly.  It's really not as hard as you would think.

First:  Start with your largest towels...typically a bath towel.  Usually I begin with freshly washed and dried towels.  I like to fold on top of my washer and dryer, however any flat surface will do.  I lay the towel out and hand smooth until all the wrinkles have disappeared (or at least mostly).

Second: Lengthwise, I fold the towel into thirds.  I can play with the width depending on the width of the shelves I will be putting the towels on.


Third:   I start folding toward the center until I am two-thirds done.  Then I fold the other side in toward the center. Then fold together.

Voila!
The same folding method works on your sheets as well.
To demonstrate I used a twin sheet set, however the same applies to any size.
   I fold the sheet in half and then in half again.
Then fold in into thirds the same way as the towels.
Fold toward the center for first two-thirds, then fold from other side, then fold together.
The fitted sheet works the same way with one variation.  Once you have folded the fitted sheet in half, you must tuck the fitted corners into each other before folding into thirds.
Then fold into thirds and follow directions above.
In no time, your sheets are folded perfectly.
Image from MarthaStewart.com
With these easy steps you linen closet can look like Martha Stewart's in no time.

Hope you have a great day!

DON'T FORGET TO STOP BACK TONIGHT AT 8PM EST 

FOR MY SIZZLE INTO SUMMER PARTY

-Judy
Pin It


-Judy

4 comments:

Gina said...

No matter how hard I try, I can never keep my linen closet looking neat. Your closet looks great!

Extra points to you for being able to fold a fitted sheet that neatly!

Maria Elena said...

Oh, I wish mine looked like this! I try so hard to keep it neat! Great folding tips!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Once the kids go back to school organizing my linen closets is on the top of my to-do list!! Thanks for the inspiration Judy!

Sew a Fine Seam said...

Great folding tutorial! Way better than the one Martha had in one of her mags years ago!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...